We’re starting a hiring revolution – by changing the game!
We’re on a mission to build an employment generation model where anyone with the base skills, mindset and drive, can access the best jobs regardless of their background and work experience. At our core, we believe having a great job is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a suite of programs and relationships to lead the charge in transforming access to stable jobs and careers.
Palette is a national government-funded non-profit that trains Canadians for careers in growing industries. We seek out people with strong foundational skills and abilities whose potential is overlooked by employers because they lack a specific credential or industry-relevant work experience. Then, we create pathways to career growth through demand-driven, industry-led accelerated skilling programs which directly engage employee partners. All of our programs include career coaching as well as job search and job placement support to ensure we are upskilling workers into new, full-time and successful careers.
We’re looking for a creative and passionate volunteer blog writer to join our Marketing and Communications team! You will help in the development of written content for our website and other social media platforms, including LinkedIn and Facebook, on topics related to our upskilling programs, career development, skills development or economic/labour market issues (“skills gaps”) more broadly.
The role is ideal for someone who enjoys interviewing content experts and writing compelling stories for digital platforms. It is also ideal for someone who is looking to garner an audience and a reputation for credible, well-researched content that can help establish them on their future career trajectory.
This is a fully remote position that can be done from anywhere in Canada.
What you will do:
- Generate, research, and pitch ideas for posts.
- Conduct research and reference all sourced materials.
- Write, edit, and publish content (500-1000 words) every month.
- Maximizing site traffic by utilizing Search Engine Optimization keywords.
- Liaison with the programs teams or content experts for story ideas.
- Invite other bloggers, experts, or other notable guests to contribute content to the webpage.
- Stay current on industry trends for possible opportunities to attract new readers or create stronger, more engaging content.
What you will bring to the table:
- Fine-tuned editing skills and abilities.
- A college or university degree/diploma in creating writing, journalism, social sciences, or communications (a strong portfolio could supplement formal work experience).
- 1 year of demonstrated experience writing content for digital platforms.
- Ability to repurpose reports, notes, interviews etc. for engaging blog content.
- Strong attention to detail and final content delivery.
- Ability to collaborate, provide updates, and deliver results in a virtual work environment.
- Research-oriented, with a solid understanding of how to reference material.
- A passion for writing or journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Basic knowledge of SEO practices.
- Strong motivation and initiative to take the lead in carrying out responsibilities.
- Great organizational and time management skills.
- Availability to attend occasional team meetings (planned in advance).
- Some familiarity with creating graphics/images for social media is an asset.
- Minimum 3-month commitment to Palette Skills.
What we can offer:
- Experience working in a growing non-profit environment with a strong start-up culture.
- Mentorship and guidance on how to make communications a career path.
- Opportunities to work on exciting projects, including multimedia projects, if desired.
- An opportunity to strengthen your research and writing skills as well as how to leverage them in an online environment.
- A platform for building an audience and following.
- Opportunities to work to coordinate on projects involving external media.
- Written references based on your proven skills for future employment.
This is currently an unpaid position with an estimated 5-7 hours of work per week. However, we will have a number of opportunities to transition to paid employment in the coming future, either through part-time employment or on a freelance contract basis. Our team is rapidly expanding all across the country and is always looking to retain good talent.
How We Hire:
At Palette we hire bright people who want to make a big impact. Email your resume along with 2-3 sentences on why you’re interested and a fit for the role to email@example.com. Please include at least 1-2 samples of your work, including any online portfolio you may have where you publish written content (website, social media, ext.).
Once you’ve applied, if we like what we see, you’ll have a phone chat. We’ll take you through a quick analysis of your capabilities (not doing free work for us), after which we can discuss an offer.
Palette embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. If there is anything we can do to create a more comfortable application experience for you, please let us know.